facebook pixel code

Current International Students

Enrolled International Student (F-1 visa) responsibilities:

Immigration documents

  1. Passport: The expiration date of your passport should always be valid at least 6 months in the future. To extend your passport, please contact your country’s local consulate/embassy in the U.S.
  2. Visa: A visa is either a stamp or a sticker put in your passport by the U.S. Consulate in your home country. A visa is necessary only to enter the U.S. The date on the visa shows the latest date you can enter the U.S. not how long you can stay here. If your F-1 visa expires or you change your visa status while in the U.S.,  then you must re-apply for a new visa in your home country in order to return to the U.S. It is not necessary to extend your visa if you do not plan to go outside the U.S. Visa renewals can only be done at a U.S. Consulate/Embassy in your home country or country of primary residence.
    • Making sure your F-1 visa is valid is your responsibility, make sure to contact Tess Rewick at least 45 days prior to the expiration date of the F-1 visa while you are still studying at Menlo College.
  3. I-94: Known as the arrival/ Departure Record, the I-94 is an electronic form recording every time you enter and leave the U.S. You can find your most recent I-94 or travel history at: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov. The “Admit Until Date” listed on your electronic I-94 is the date you must leave the U.S. D/S (Duration of Status) is the notification on an F-1 visa holder’s I-94 record and means that you can stay in the U.S. as long as your I-20 is valid and you are pursuing full course load of study (including any authorized practical training following the completion of program).
  4. I-20: The Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status, often referred to as the I-20 Form, is a document authorized by ICE and issued to you by the International Student office when you are first admitted to Menlo College. An I-20 Form is three pages. I-20 form should be kept with you at all times and will be needed to re-enter the U.S. after a trip outside the U.S.
    • If you are traveling outside the U.S., your I-20 needs to be signed by Tess Rewick. You should submit your current I-20 to Tess Rewick at least 10 business days before the travel date in order for you to get it back in a timely manner before your departure. (Exceptions will be made if there is an emergency and you need to travel outside the U.S.).
    • Making sure your I-20 form is valid, is your responsibility. If you I-20 form is expiring then you need to contact Tess Rewick at least 45 days before the expiration date of the I-20 Form.

Full time Attendance

F-1 visa students are required by the U.S. Immigration regulations to maintain a full time status while studying in the U.S. At Menlo College, full time attendance means the student must enroll in and complete at least 12 units of course work which is degree applicable each Fall and Spring semester. You are not required to take any classes in the Summer, Winter or Spring break. If for some reason, you are forced to withdraw from one/more courses or take less than 12 units, you must first speak to the academic counselor and then to Tess Rewick prior to dropping and or withdrawing from class(es).

Extension of Program of Study

F-1 visa students are admitted to the U.S. for Duration of Status (D/S), which defines as:

The “Program End Date” on page 1 of the I-20 form issued to you by Menlo College is the date by which ICE expects you to complete all the requirements for your current program. If you are unable to complete you program of study by that date, you will need to make an appointment with Tess Rewick for a program extension at least 45 days before reaching the I-20 program end date.

Study Abroad

If you wish to study abroad, please schedule an appointment with Kelly Davis in Handshake or by email (kelly.davis@menlo.edu) to talk about immigration implications of being outside the U.S. when you apply for a leave of absence to study abroad.


Employment is a benefit granted to eligible F-1 visa students who have been in good academic standing and have not violated any F-1 status rules and regulations. You should always consult with a DSO first to check your eligibility before searching for a job.

  1. On Campus Employment: You may accept on campus employment with approval from a DSO (Tess Rewick). You can work part time up to 19 hours per week. You are required to have a Social Security Number prior to starting your on campus part time employment.
  2. Off-Campus Employment: There are different types of off campus employment opportunities available for international students:
    • Curricular Practical Training (CPT): Available before completion of program. Your CPT has to be authorized by the Career Services office and has to be directly related to your program major. For more information, please read the Internship Student Manual and/or schedule an appointment with Dylan Houle in Handshake or by email (dylan.houle@menlo.edu).
    • Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT): Available after completion of your degree program. You should be applying for OPT in your last semester. Your OPT job has to be authorized by your Career Services Advisor and has to be directly related to your program major. For more information, please schedule an appointment with Kelly Davis in Handshake or by email (kelly.davis@menlo.edu).

U.S Social Security Numbers

If you have found a job (on or off campus), you will be required to obtain a U.S. Social Security Number in order to start working. You must first obtain a job offer letter from your employer, or Jay Naidu in Human Resources and then a work authorization letter from Tess Rewick. It takes anywhere between 2-4 weeks for the Social Security Administration office to process your application and issue a Social Security Number. Please take the following documents to the Social Security Administration office in Redwood City to obtain a Social Security Number:

California ID card/Driver’s license

You can apply for driver’s license at the Redwood City DMV. Please take the following documents to the DMV office in Redwood City to obtain a California ID or Driver’s license:

DSO Team

If you have any questions that need to be addressed regarding any of the above items, please contact the appropriate party below:

Tess Rewick

Tess Rewick
Director of Admissions & Marketing
Assists with: Travel signatures, issuing initial I-20s, issuing replacement I-20s, verification letters (enrollment, social security, etc.), and general F-1 visa advising

Priscila Casanova de Souza
Dean of Enrollment Management
SEVP Principal Designated School Official (PDSO)

Kelly Davis
Assistant Director of Internships, Career Services and Study Abroad (ICS)
Assists with: Optional Practical Training (OPT), International Student Mentor Program – Support Staff

Dylan Houle
Director, Internships, Career Services, Study Abroad (ICS)
Assists with: Curricular Practical Training (CPT) – Internships


Menlo College